Imagine traveling the world with WiFi at your fingertips. The freedom of being able to connect in an instant to the internet wherever you are. Whether for work or pleasure, always-on internet connectivity is hugely convenient and makes travel so much easier and convenient. Check the location of that hotel or FaceTime with friends and family back home as you explore some far-flung city…this is what the internet was invented for and why we think a portable WiFi router with built-in global roaming is the must-have travel accessory for 2020.
If you plan on traveling in the near future, a portable Wifi router with global roaming is the fastest, easiest and most secure way to access the internet from the road. A personal WiFi router is more convenient than trying to find and log into flakey public WiFi wherever you go. A personal travel WiFi router also allows you to protect your security when you are on the go. You no longer have to worry about hackers on a public WiFi network or nosy customers sitting next to you at a cafe.
What Is Skyroam?
Skyroam is a travel WiFi router you can take with you when you are traveling around the world. It offers fast connections in more than 130 countries. Skyroam’s Solis X is the world’s first WiFi smart spot. It can connect to Wifi from anywhere on earth and charges using a convenient USB port. Plus, the pocket-sized Solis allows you to take photos, live-stream and record while you are on the go.
Invented in the United States, the Solis is made in Berlin for an exceptional, well-crafted product. Once your Solis arrives, you have to download the Skyroam mobile app in order to use it. Then, you select the WiFi plan you want based on the cost or duration of your trip. The magic of Skyroam is that you can use it from anywhere in the world. You do not have to buy a Solis device in order to use it, although you will need to rent a Skyroam Global Hotspot if you do not own a Solis. Once you have your WiFi setup, you can work from a Parisian cafe or a ranch in the Wild West.
Fair to say that Skyroam are not the only ones with a portable Wifi router solution, but none we’ve seen offer the same combination of great coverage (130+ countries), low cost data and management features…so much so that at least one of the competitors has been found guilty of stealing their IP! (more on this below)
Here’s the alternatives:
- Brck – Fairly similar but focused exclusively on Africa
- Keepgo – Offers 120+ countries of coverage so is still behind Skyroam, but their data charges are from $16.50/gb which is considerably more.
- Roamingman – Probably the closest comparison, but Skyroam wins out in our book with more sensible plans for frequent flyers. Forbes also reached this conclusion.
- Glocalme – Also quite well known but we can’t recommend these guys because their parent company Ucloudlink was recently found guilty of infringing on the IP belonging to SIMO Holdings which is the parent of Skyroam. Long story short Ucloudlink has been found guilty of wilfully stealing IP to enhance their product.
- One more news from Yahoo finance: Jury finds uCloudlink (GlocalMe) willfully infringed on patent
How Does Skyroam Work?
To start with, you have to buy a Skyroam Solis to use while you travel. If you do not want to invest in a Solis, you can also rent a Skyroam Global Hotspot instead. Once you have a Solis or a Global Hotspot, you just have to turn it on to start using it. Then, you can connect up to 10 devices at once.
With Skyroam, you can buy 24-hour passes that can be used whenever you want. Once you activate your day pass, you can use unlimited internet for the next 24 hours. If you are renting a hotspot, it will arrive with all of the day passes you purchased for your trip.
Through Skyroam, you can enjoy unlimited data through a fast, secure WiFi connection. You can enjoy paying a flat rate so that you never end up with a bill for going over your data limit. Plus, you can share your hotspot with other people as well.
With Skyroam, you can connect up to 10 devices at once. You can use it from locations around the world. Since it does not involve any contracts, you can use Skyroam when you need it and only when you need it. You only pay for the days you use. In addition, you can choose whether you want to pay per gigabyte or have unlimited data for an entire month. Skyroam offers 4G LTE speeds from around the world, so you get to enjoy fast speeds from wherever you happen to be.
Benefits of Skyroam
When you sign up for Skyroam, you can select from flexible plans. You can pay per gigabyte, day or month. When you use Skyroam, you can enjoy having some of the following benefits.
- You only pay for what you need, so you never have to spend money on a contract.
- You can conveniently connect from around the world.
- Skyroam works for up to 10 devices at once.
- You can enjoy better privacy and security.
- Skyroam is offered with virtual private networks (VPNs) for even better protection.
- You can connect using 4G LTE and encrypted networks.
- No SIMs are required.
How Much Does Skyroam Cost?
With this travel WiFi router, you can pay as little as $6 per gigabyte to connect to the internet. The pay-per-gigabyte plan works in Europe and the United States. If you want to use it in other regions, you can upgrade and pay $9 per month. This option is pay-as-you-go and works for up to 10 devices.
If you plan on traveling for a longer period of time, you may want to invest in the unlimited plan. This monthly subscription is $99 and provides you with global connectivity for 30 days. You can cancel it at any time, so this option is ideal if you plan on traveling for a few weeks and need the internet that travels with you.
- Hugo Boss Smart Classic Smart Analogue Watch Review - December 8, 2023
- How to Improve Network Speed for your Smart Devices - December 6, 2023
- DVD Burning Software Reviews - December 2, 2023